With strong relationships with reputable law firms in Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu and Hong Kong, Bernard DEWIT was the first to set up a representative office of Belgian lawyers in Beijing, mainly to offer a unique service to clients seeking legal assistance in China and Europe.
Mr Bernard DEWIT was decorated in 2017 by Prime Minister Li Keqiang with the “Friendship Award”, a prestigious award given by the Chinese government to foreign experts who have made an outstanding contribution to the country’s economic and social progress.
From Europe to China
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Assistance to companies in prior negotiations, the due diligence process, negotiations, the drafting of all types of legal documentation necessary for the merger and acquisition procedure, the conclusion of final agreements, etc.
- Incorporation of companies: Assistance to European companies for the creation of joint ventures, Wholly Foreign Owned Enterprises (WFOE), as well as representative offices in China
- Administrative assistance: Assistance to companies in their applications for official licenses
- Drafting and revision of commercial contracts: franchise, commercial agency, licenses, leasing agreements, cooperation agreements, etc.
- Settlement of international commercial disputes: including international fraud, and resolution or arbitration of international commercial disputes
- Protection of intellectual property rights: registrations of copyrights, trademarks and patents, monitoring of infringements of intellectual property rights, strategy for the protection of intellectual property rights, management of litigation in the field of intellectual property rights, etc.
- Legal assistance in the field of human resources management: drafting and review of employment contracts, non-competition agreements and confidentiality agreements, formulation of “employee manuals” and work regulations, arbitration of disputes and litigation
- Legal services in real estate, commercial or industrial property law
- Arbitration and dispute resolution.
From China to Europe
- Search for partners in the desired field of activity
- Due diligence
- Preparation of contracts
- Registration of trademarks
- Immigration (work permit, business cards, residence permit)
- Real estate, commercial or industrial property
- Labour law
- Legal procedures
Beijing Office Team
Degree in Law from the Catholic University of Louvain in 1978.
Member of the Brussels Bar since 1978.
Former member of the Council of the French Bar Association of Brussels .
President of the Belgian-Chinese Chamber of Commerce. (BCECC)
Secretary General of Europe China OBOR Culture & Tourism Development Committee.
Mediator accredited by the Brussels Business Mediation Centre. n 1 )
Foreign Arbitrator approved by the Shanghai International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission
Visiting Lecturer at the Catholic University Faculties of Mons (Fucam).
Decorated with the Friendship Award granted by the Chinese government.
Certified expert of State Administration of foreign Experts Affair P.R. China.
Languages: French, Dutch and English.
Insurance law, civil liability, bodily injury, construction law, contract law, national and
international arbitration, foreign investment, commercial law, transport law, Chinese law.
Degree in Law from the Catholic University of Louvain in 1988.
Master in Tax Management from Solvay Business School, Free University of Brussels, in 1992.
Member of the Brussels Bar since 1989.
Languages: French and English.
Insurance law, personal injury, medical liability, civil law, social law, tax law.
BA in English Literature and Diploma in Diplomacy from Beijing Foreign Studies University (China).
Master in Public Administration and Public Policy from York University (UK).
Languages: Chinese, English.
China Desk Manager
Liaises with our Chinese customers and assists Chinese investors with setting up in Europe.
Helps European investors gain a foothold in China.
Bachelor of Chinese Law from China University of Political Science and Law (Beijing) in 2009.
Master’s degree in Common Law from the Chinese University of Hong Kong 2010.
Member of China Law Association on Science and Technology.
Languages: Chinese and English.
Chinese company law, labour law, Intellectual property law, international economic law.
Master in Marketing and Strategic Communication from the University of Greenwich (UK)
Languages: Chinese, English
Responsible to our Chinese public relations and marketing management firm.
Bachelor of Laws in Chinese Law from the China University of Political Science and Law (Beijing)
Master of Laws (LLM) from the Law School of the University of California (UCLA) Los Angeles.
Languages: Chinese, English.
Customer relations and supports legal counsel.